La Paz Batchoy has always been my favorite egg noodle soup. Iloilo is the place for many popular soups in the Philippines, food is one of the City’s attractions. To name a few they have chicken inasal, piaya, biscocho, pancit molo and of course La Paz Batchoy. La Paz Batchoy is a must dish whenever I am in Iloilo, the authentic La Paz Batchoy of Iloilo has that distinct salty, sweet, and spicy flavor that is only uniquely Ilonggo.
The Philippines has a variety of soups, among which is the La Paz Batchoy that originated in Iloilo. It is a noodle soup garnished with Pork innards, crushed Pork cracklings, vegetables, and topped with cracked raw egg; a truly tempting treat.
Estimated preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
La Paz Batchoy Ingredients:
- 1 kilo egg noodles
- 1 medium size onion, quartered
- 1/2 head garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste (Buy Bagoong Online)
- 1 tbsp. peppercorns, crushed
- 10-12 c. beef/pork stock
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar (Buy Brown Sugar Online)
- 1 tsp. soy sauce (Buy Soy Sauce Online)
- salt to taste
- 250 g. pork
- 150 g. pork liver
- 150 g. beef tripe (optional and be boiled on a separate pot. It should be cleaned properly by washing with water)
- 150 g. pork intestine (its optional and be boiled on a separate pot. It should be cleaned properly by washing with water inside the intestine)
- 150 g. shrimps or 2 spoonful of shrimp paste (Buy Bagoong Online)
- chicharon, crushed
- chopped garlic,fried
- chopped spring onion
La Paz Batchoy Cooking Instructions:
In a large pot, pour in 10-12 c. of stock (from boiled beef and pork bones) and add all broth ingredients and bring to a boil.
Add in pork and liver in the pot, let simmer for 20–25 minutes or until pork and liver are tender add more stock if necessary.
Remove pork and liver from the pot, drain and let cool.
**Reduce heat and place the 1 spoonful of shrimp paste (preferably Salted Shrimp Fry Bagoong Alamang) on a cloth formed like a pouch and blanch in the boiling soup to mix the flavor. Avoid mixing the shrimp paste into the soup that is why we need to put it into a cloth pouch.
**Remove shrimp paste pouch from the pot once you have batchoy flavor set.
If no shrimp paste is available you can use shrimp and follow the 2 steps below and continue.
- Reduce heat and blanch shrimp until cooked.
- Remove shrimp from the pot, remove the shell and head each shrimp, set aside.
Continue simmering the broth in low heat until ready to serve, season with salt to taste.
** Boil beef tripe and Pork intestine on a separate pot (do not with your broth) and then slice into thin strips and set aside. (optional to add beef tripe)
Slice the pork, and liver into thin strips and set aside.
Place noodles in the serving bowl and pour the strained boiling stock over the noodles. Top with pork, chicken, liver, shrimp. Garnish with chicharron, spring onion, and fried garlic.